28 May 2012

remembering


The Star Spangled Banner flying below a blue French sky but above green American soil

This Memorial Day, I reflect on one of the most somber days of my life. On the morning of August 30, 2011 I stepped off of French soil and onto the sacred ground of Normandy American Cemetery. Below my feet rested the almost 10,000 Americans that gave their lives protecting their far away homeland. Walking the endless rows crosses and Stars of David, I could hear the eternal crashing of the waves on nearby Omaha Beach where so many of these men gave their lives. While walking, I was overcome with grief and humility. Sorrowfully aware that I was standing over ten thousand of my American brothers, the victorious dead. Humbly knowing that it was for this very ability for me to stand there as a free man that they risked and ultimately gave their lives on those near by beaches. 

Today I remember not only the brave Americans who have given their lives to protect my freedom in previous generations, but also those who risk and give their lives today in the name of our liberty. I was ten years old when the twin towers were attacked, and I have only ever really known this nation at war. I am fully aware that at 20 years old, I am of average enlisting age. I like to think that if things had been different, if I didn't have this chronic pain, I would have already enlisted. But things aren't different, and I have to find another way to serve my country. I have taken JFK's words to heart and have sought only to serve my country and not ask for anything in return. 

A simple 'thank you' doesn't even come close to what I would like to express to our men and women in uniform. My challenge for you and for myself is to find a way to show our above and beyond gratitude to our veterans and active soldiers. These men and women are America's finnest, and they deserve to be treated as such! Similarly, our gallant dead deserve respect, gratitude and honor. In our everyday lives, we can honor and remember our fallen heros by never taking for granted the liberty that they died for. We must remember that freedom has never been free. Taking it for granted would be an insult to the memory of those who died for it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment