11 August 2011

Glasgow grand finale


Well, I’m down to my final days in Scotland. Janelle left early Wednesday morning and I’m officially on my own in my homeland! It’s a strange feeling being alone this far from home, but it’s so awesome (sorry mom). There’s just something freeing about not knowing a single person currently in the same country as me. Well technically Brian Archambault is somewhere on the east coast or highlands by now and Matt Bennett is on a train up here, but you get the point. I’ve been on my own before, but this is a completely new level. Unfortunately I don’t have a ton of ‘free’ time being free. I stupidly put off most of my pre euro semester work until the now, the week before. I spent basically all day today inside writing. Luckily I relocated after Janelle left to a quieter hostel really far outside Glasgow, much less distracting than city center. And it’s been raining relentlessly the past two days, limiting most outside activities or adventures anyway. 


Honestly, it really sucks that I only have two more full days here (wow, I’m just realizing that while writing this). That’s depressing, I don’t wanna think about that. I get back to London on Sunday, and on Monday I get to hang out with two of the coolest girls I know! Sara Reinis and Whitney Pierson are spending the night in London on their way home from Wales. AKA, we’re gonna rage. After that, Erica gets there on Wednesday (IF she doesn’t get lost in the airport, and that’s a huge if) and we meet up with our team on Friday afternoon. 
Let’s see, what else is new… 
I haven’t shaved in 30 days, that’s old news actually. I can’t shave until Erica gets here, her orders. It’s getting bad, but I love it. A picture of Benjamin Bisson surfing just rotated onto my desktop background. I miss that kid, and the ocean. I haven’t seen it for over a week now. For someone like me that has basically always lived with an ocean view from every house and every school, that’s a long time! My road trip was the longest I’ve been away from the ocean (a grand total of 15 days). The almost two month stretch between France to Italy is going to break that record. If you haven’t noticed, this last paragraph is basically whatever thought jumps into my brain. Carrie Underwood just came up on my ipod, nice! 



Ok ok, back to Scotland. It was a real adventure getting to this hostel yesterday. I decided to pretend I was a local and only use public transportation to get to somewhere I had absolutely no clue was located. I ended up getting half way here on the Glasgow underground, then jumped on the wrong bus that took me right back to city center. Then got on a wrong bus again that put me in east end instead of west end. Normally I’m actually quite good at navigation, but I was just all turned around yesterday. It probably was due to the fact that it was pouring rain so I just jumped on the first buses that showed up. And because I always use the ocean as my point of reference, West, and there’s obviously no ocean in Glasgow, just a dirty river. I finally just gave up and took a taxi (like I probably should have from the start, seeing as I didn’t even know what side of the city I was trying to get to). I arrived to my hostel soaked from head to toe, and the guy that answered the door just laughed at me… jerk.



Well that’s about it. I’m trying to decide if I should stay up to watch the GOP presidential debate online, I probably wont. Mainly because Rick Perry isn’t participating. I just read that he’s officially going to announce he’s going to run on Saturday, so stoked. Mark my words, Rick Perry will be elected President of the great United States of America in 2012. I miss the idea of being in America more that physically being in Los Angeles or Santa Barbara I think. I miss being in one nation under God. I miss the land of the free, and the home of the brave. Anyway, patriotism aside, I love being abroad. While my pre-Europe adventure is drawing to a close, my actual Europe adventure is about to begin. The only thing that stands in my way is finishing a few essays and a WWII timeline. Well, back to work on that. This post has been basically one big distraction from my sociology essay, classic. 


1 comment:

  1. You're amazing. I admire your skills de fotografia mucho :) Tambien, echo de menos a ti (I miss you)!!!! Tenga un buen tiempo con Ury en Londres! Cuidanse!

    ReplyDelete