16 November 2011

Death by salt

Adventure day!


We started our day with an early morning (not sunrise :/) climb up the cliffs of Masada! This didn't kill us, but it came close. Some of the guys decided to race up the hill to the top, and they collapsed a little more than half way up. I think my professor actually made it up the highest with a constant stride, and he's not exactly what you would call 'young'.


From the top we had spectacular view of the Dead Sea and all the way into Jordan! I didn't realize how high we actually were until I saw people down below. They didn't look like the size of ants, they looked like the size of the tiny crumbs ants carry! 


Next we drove to the Dead Sea, and this was just bad news. So normally the Dead Sea is perfectly still and actually reflects the mountains beyond it and is all around peaceful and calm to float in. No, not today. The winds were so intense that they were causing surfable waves to crash on the shore. We didn't exactly pay attention to the "DO NOT SWIM PAST THIS SIGN" warning, so we walked right past it to find the mud. After we smeared the black mud on our skin, we one by one got in the water. We were instructed to NOT get our faces wet because that much salt in our eyes would be the worst thing ever. I was one of the first in the water and we were floating around all calm and yelling how cool it was and for everybody to get in. Just when most of the group is in the water, the winds and currents pick up again and the extremely salty water starts to splash everywhere, mainly directly into our eyes. What started out as being a pleasant beach day quickly escalated to the scene from Titanic when everybody is screaming in the water. Nobody could see a thing as we were attempting to swim back to the shore blind without getting anymore salt in our eyes. Titanic then evolved into Saving Private Ryan trying to get back onto the beach. We were crawling on all fours and clinging to rocks for dear life as the waves crashed on us. When I finally got out, I remember looking back and seeing Charlotte pulling Jenny our of the water, both crying. Charlotte was pouring water into Jennys eyes and her own eyes trying to see. Bry's entire leg was bleeding, so were some other people's. Colby was acting as a medic, dressing peoples wounds and pouring rubbing alcohol on them (causing even more pain). I tried my best to go back in the water (once I could see again) to pull girls out of the rocks trying to not think about the pain in my own bleeding feet. I guess we should have payed attention to the sign telling us not to swim there. I think there was much easier access in the designated spot. I have to say that I've never had that much fun while being in that much agony! I wasn't able to take any pictures during the chaos, but here are some pictures just before:


Even though the Dead Sea was painful and complete madness, it was still one of the most entertaining and fun moments we've had on this trip as a group! I was completely weightless in that water floating around (before the waves) and it really was nice! Plus the black mud has all of these minerals in it made my skin softer than it's probably ever been.


We then went to the springs at Ein Gedi. These were much more refreshing than the Dead Sea! We swam around and stood under waterfalls. It was almost polar opposite to earlier in the day. 


We ended our adventure day at Qumran! I have been looking forward to see where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found for so long, and today it finally happened! It was even cooler than I imagined it, and I can't wait to go see the scrolls this weekend here in Jerusalem. We're now back in Jerusalem after our 5 day road trip around southern Israel. We're here for about a week and then we do another week long road trip to Nazareth and the northern country! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment