11 September 2011

'A great people has been moved to defend a great nation'


It has been a full decade since that horrible morning. For me, it has been half a lifetime. I was only ten years old that day, and the second half of my life so far has been directly shaped by the September 11, 2001 attacks. I will never forget that morning. Waking up to the sound of my parents worried voices, I went up to the kitchen and saw what was happening on the television. I don’t have many clear memories from that age, but I have no trouble recalling exactly what I saw early that Tuesday. I had walked into the room shortly after the second tower was struck. At first glance, I remember thinking some building in New York was on fire. I was told what was happening, and I watched in horror as the towers fell. I remember my parents explaining to my sisters and me what it meant. I understood. I doubt many my age understood as well as I did. Even at that young age, I was extremely conscious of the global realm. I was already much more politically aware than my peers.
America was under attack, that much was certain to everyone that morning. By nightfall, the entire world had changed in a just a few chaotic hours. 
“Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done.” President George W. Bush
Over the past few weeks, I have watched hours of footage from the attacks, reviewed countless articles written over the past decade, and watched dozens of speeches made by political figures all over the world reacting to September 11, 2001. I clearly remember watching President Bush’s speech to a joint session of Congress on September 20, but I watched it again in full for the first time recently. I understand now, more than ever, what he was trying to convey to the American people and to the world that night. George W. Bush stepped up like so many who have held his office have done in times of great tragedy. But unlike many before him, there was a much greater sense of emotion radiating out of him. Still a new president, Bush wore his anger on his sleeves for the world to see. The American people were fired up, and so was he. Instead of keeping his cool and being the collected and clearheaded leader that many presidents before him have been, he was leading the charge for revenge. Many have condemned him for this, but I commend him. This was the leader that America needed. America was rallying together, but she needed someone to rally around. For many, Bush was that man. For me, he still is. 
“Great harm has been done to us. We have suffered great loss. And in our grief and anger we have found our mission and our moment.
Freedom and fear are at war. The advance of human freedom, the great achievement of our time and the great hope of every time, now depends on us.
Our nation, this generation, will lift the dark threat of violence from our people and our future. We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail.” President George W. Bush

Post 9/11 Youth
That part of President Bush’s speech stuck with me for the years following 2001. The more I learned and grew, the more I understood W’s call. My generation has only ever really known a post 9/11 world. Before 2001, I knew little of the world outside my home (yet still more than most my age); but after that year, I started to learn. All the knowledge I have acquired has been through a post 9/11 filter. I do not know what Washington was like before the attacks. I do not know what the United Nations, European Union, NATO… were like in the late 20th century. I have read about them sure, but I never experienced a world not affected by September 11th. 
Everything I have studied this past decade, from elementary school to undergraduate, has been influenced by a post 9/11 worldview. Quotes from President Bush’s speeches on September 11th and 20th became comparable with great speeches of American history. He was joined on the speech wall in my 9th grade history class with the likes of Kennedy, Roosevelt, King, Jefferson, etc. I sometimes wonder what my education would have been like if 9/11 had never happened. Then again, I sometimes wonder what the entire world would have been like. 
The years following 2001 were filled with the constant fear of another attack. My parents generation feared an attack from the Soviets, their parents feared an attack from the Nazis, my generation feared an attack from the unknown. All I knew was that there were men in caves in a far away desert that wanted to kill Americans. That’s not the best atmosphere for a kid to grow up in, if you ask me. I, like many of my 4th grade friends, wanted to grow up and do something about those evil men. We envisioned our lives as soldiers or ‘important American adults‘ (I guess you could compare that to politicians) that hunted them down and made America safe. I think I am the only one that still does. The threat eventually faded, though never disappeared completely. My peers went on with their lives, they went back to wanting to be doctors, astronauts, rock stars or whatever normal pre-teens want to be when the grow up. My mind never changed.
These terrorists kill not merely to end lives, but to disrupt and end a way of life. With every atrocity, they hope that America grows fearful, retreating from the world and forsaking our friends. They stand against us because we stand in their way. 
We're not deceived by their pretenses to piety.
We have seen their kind before. They're the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions, by abandoning every value except the will to power, they follow in the path of fascism, Nazism and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way to where it ends in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies.” President George W. Bush
Post 9/11 Future
If it weren’t for my back injury, I would have enlisted directly into the Armed Forces or went to a military academy following high school (despite my mother nearly forbidding it). Instead, I’m at Westmont and not West Point. Yet my future has been more intertwined with the future of America than most my age. At twenty, I feel almost alone among my peers in my passion for America, for her principles and for her people.
I look at the photographs and video taken that morning, and I feel both anger, and patriotism. I love this country, not in some “wrap my flag around myself” patriotism (though I do enjoy occasionally doing that), but patriotism in that I would do anything for the United States. The anger I feel is for the loss of my countrymen, I mourn for them daily. I refuse to sit around and watch the world collapse around me. And if my path isn’t to put my life on the line to protect Americans, either at home or abroad, then my path is somewhere else. God has a great plan for my life, and I will let him use me in any way possible. I might end up in Washington, or I might end up in a far off country. I could be an important ambassador, or a seemingly insignificant traveler, helping kids one by one in Africa or Bangladesh. No matter where I’m led, I know that I will forever be an ambassador of Christ, and of America.


In Memoriam
Today I remember the 2,977 innocent killed that Tuesday morning, a decade ago. I remember the 40 courageous passengers and crew on United Flight 93 that saved an untold number of lives in Washington. I remember those left without parents, children, or loved ones as night fell on September 11, 2001. 
Today I thank every single man and woman who has risked their life in the Middle East. I mourn the victorious dead, knowing that they have not died in vein. I thank President George W. Bush. No matter what criticism is said about him now, history will judge him as a brave president who did what was right in order to protect lives. The fact is, a decade has passed and no further attack has been made on American soil. I also thank President Obama. He has continued where Bush left off, and for that I commend him. Obama too has continued to keep America safe. Over the past decade, dozens of potential deadly attacks have been thwarted due to the policies both presidents put in motion. 
Today I pray for America, and for our world. I pray for safety, and I pray that God’s work is done. I pray that my life, and the lives of others, will be used by God to bring real change to our nation and to our world. I pray for peace, and I pray for compassion. I pray that in a time that seems hopeless for many, hope and joy can be found. I pray for a blessing on the United States of America. May she forever be the land of the free, and the home of the brave. I pray that the United States of America will always remain, One Nation Under God.



President Bush speech from the Oval Office - September 11, 2001
President Bush speech to Congress (highlights) - September 20, 2001
Full news coverage from the morning of 9/11
BBC recap of global day of reflection - September 14, 2001
Time interview with George W. Bush - 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment