11 September 2011

reflecting still

So I'm still processing today, it's been an emotional roller coaster. After watching the Ground Zero Ceremony this afternoon, I decided to take a walk around Bruges to process my thoughts. I walked along the banks of the canals that run through the city, wishing I was in America for the first time since I left. I've never wanted to be back in the States more. Just then, I turned a corner and saw this...




This was EXACTLY what I needed to see. I little piece of home, hanging from a random house in Bruges. I was tempted to knock on the door, but I decided against it. I've been thinking the past few days about what it means to be an American. More importantly, I've been reflecting on what it means to be a Christian born in America. Finally, I've been thinking about what it means to be an American Christian, living and traveling abroad. 


I've come to the conclusion that I'm both an ambassador for Christ, and an ambassador for America. I simultaneously represent two of the most important parts of who I am, where ever I am. America truly is the last, best hope on Earth. Not just politically, but spiritually too. I've seen first hand how the faith of Europe is eroding to almost nothing. (Interesting side note, the European states that are still actively religious are Catholic, the Protestant countries' faith fell a long time ago.) Where ever I go in Europe, I want to leave an 'unusual' impression on everyone I meet. Instead of being just another American pissing somebody off, I want to be somebody who preaches with my actions. I don't know if this makes any sense, just my notion for the day. 


Peace Bruges... Amsterdam in the morning! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment