28 July 2011

highland cathedral


My favorite of the three major national anthems of Scotland is Highland Cathedral. Seeing as how I'm writing this on my last night in the highlands, I thought it would be appropriate to talk about it. 


I've always favored this one over Flower of Scotland and Scotland the Brave for some reason, I just kind of connect to it. I think it's the first two lines that really get to me. My experience in the highlands has been one that I will never forget. I've seen the most beautiful sights, and have met some of the most colorful and interesting people (even if I couldn't always understand what the heck they were saying). I am so blessed to have traveled here, and even though I still have about half of my Scotland trip ahead of me, it's still sad leaving the highlands. I know that I'll be back, and hopefully soon!


HERE it is sung with words, and HERE it is just instrumental. Both are so ridiculously epic 

Land of our fathers, we will always be
Faithful and loyal to our own country
In times of danger, we will set you free
Lead you to glory and to victory
Hail, Caledonia, to our ancient prayer
In this Highland Cathedral, let our standards, bear
Joining, together, with one dream to share
God bless the people of this land so fair
Chorus:
Gone is the past, let us start a new
Let this hope of peace, always remain
Spirit of Scotia, be strong and true
Then your children will smile again.
Rise, Caledonia, let your voices ring
In this Highland Cathedral of our God and King
Whom, joy and liberty, to all, will bring
Come; let your heart, with love and courage, sing
Chorus:

Lonely the exile, o'er distant seas,
The home of their birth, gone from their eyes.
Bring back their souls o'er the ocean breeze
To the land where their fathers lie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment