25 July 2011

the highlands at last!

Finally! I'm in Inverness, de facto capital and gateway to the Highlands of Scotland.


The highlands are more beautiful that I could ever have imagined, and I've only scratched the surface. We're in Inverness for the week, situated above Loch Ness and on River Ness. It's a small town, and I can hardly understand anything anybody says... it's awesome! I'm trying to work on my accent, but I don't want to try it out here and insult somebody. 


I kinda wish the weather wasn't so good lately. The only time it's really rained was in Edinburgh. Since then it's rained a little, and drizzled a ton. But the summer weather is kicking in and it's actually been mostly sunny the past few days. I think it's supposed to start raining again later in the week, I hope it does!! I'd love to come back sometime in the winter and see all of this covered in thick snow.


Tomorrow yet another one of my lifelong dreams is going to come true. We're taking a bus tour to the Isle of Skye! I didn't think we'd be able to see it on this trip because it's so far north and out of the way. It's on the west coast, it's also the most beautiful place in Scotland, in Britain, and (in my opinion) in the entire world. Look it up and your jaw will drop. We're also going to Eilean Donan Castle, one of the most iconic and epic castles in Scotland. I honestly can't believe I get to go to these places tomorrow. Rest assured I'll take over a thousand pictures in one day, easy. I'm getting chills just thinking about what tomorrow holds.


God has blessed me beyond my wildest dreams on this trip. I have already seen things I never thought I would see, and have met some truly amazing people. My back has help up better than imagined. I knew it would be tough and a struggle, and it has been for sure. But I'm managing and Christ is with me and giving me the strength I need day by day, I've had to lean on him daily in order to survive. 

On the top of the Scottish Royal Coat of Arms, there's a banner that reads "IN DEFENS". It's a shortening of the Scottish motto: "In My Defens God Me Defend". It refers to a Scottish prayer that I've recently taken to heart.

In my defence God me defend
And bring my sawl to ane good end
ane vertuous lyf procureth ane happie death...




0 comments:

Post a Comment