29 July 2011

leaving the highlands

I only have a few short hours left in the Highlands of Scotland. It's an extremely bitter sweet feeling. I still have more than half of my trip ahead of me, but the highlands are one of a kind and something I had been looking forward to seeing them for years. The highlands truly surpassed every expectation I had. Easily my favorite region of the world I have ever been to, they captivate my imagination and bring me a sense of peace and joy. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true! There's something about this place that really affects me. I can't wait to come back here, next time in the winter or spring. In the winter months, all of this is covered in thick snow! Summer is the best time for 'tourists' to come to the highlands because it's mostly sunny and warm(ish). I can't wait to come back when it's stormy and raining constantly, real Scottish weather. I was told by an old man here that when it rains in the winter/spring, the hills come alive and gigantic waterfalls sprout out everywhere on the side of every mountain and hill. He said you can just sit and watch them for hours and be spiritually moved by them. I can't wait to one day come back and see it.

It doesn't really get dark here until super late in the summer, and in the winter that's opposite. We've gotten almost 18 hours of daylight here, it's rad! Anyway, I'm writing this as I pack up my room and preparing to leave the hostel in Inverness. From here we'll take the train down to Stirling for a few nights. I'm really excited for Stirling because that's very history Scotland. The Wars of Independence centered around there and I can't wait to visit where the battle of Falkirk took place. Stirling is also home to the huge Wallace monument. From Stirling we'll make our way over to Loch Lomond. One of the more famous and beautiful loch's in Scotland, it's also right around where my ancestors lived. The lands of the CLan MacFarlane (my ancestors) were situated between Loch Lomond and Loch Long. It's going to be a very meaningful experience finally visiting these lands. After Loch Lomond, we'll go to the west coast for a few days in Oban. After Oban, we'll finally make our way back to Glasgow. After a few nights, Janelle will leave and go back to California, and I'll stay there for another week or so before returning to London and starting Europe Semester!

0 comments:

Post a Comment